[IPython-dev] App's, Components and refactoring

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net@gmail....
Fri Jul 31 13:04:34 CDT 2009

> Note that the api object is a separate object is an implementation
> detail - ipapi.get() could as well pass you the direct
> InteractiveShell object.

The change that I am making right now though is that *every* object in
IPython (the shell, magics, alias, completers, you name it) will have a
runtime api.  Also, at this point, I am deeply concerned about
implementation details.  Thus

> The user of the api never needs to know what
> object it gets.

True, but as I design and implement the underlying architecture, I surely do
care about what objects exist underneath the hood.  Minimally, the idea that
*every* object will have a runtime API (as well as a configuration interface
and other things as well) is a dramatic departure from our current design.

I still haven't decided which approach to take - for now I am implementing a
few prototypes to see what things look like.