[IPython-dev] IPython module and package reorganization

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net@gmail....
Tue Jun 30 16:49:40 CDT 2009

> I'm happy to hear you have the opportunity to focus and do this work. I
> believe it will make it a lot easier to get new people involved if it is
> easier to understand how everything works.

Yes, one of my main goals is to make IPython "hackable"

> Near the end of the document you say everrything will follow pep-8 but in
> all the renames the toplevel still has uppercase letters in it i.e. IPython.
> Is this an oversight or do you feel a change in top level name will cause
> too muh inconvenience? Personally I think this is the right opportunity to
> change it.

Yes, we have talked about this in the past.  You are right that maybe
now is the time to make this change.  One subtlety is filesystems that
are case insensitive (OS X).  On such systems, "IPython" (the old
name) and "ipython" are indistiguishable, so if someone has both
installed, they could get wierd things.  I guess we would just have to
make it clear to folks that as of such and such release, you *have* to
delete the older versions.

I would love to be able to type "ipython" rather than "IPython" all
the time so I am for this change.  What do others think?  Are there
problems with this that I am missing?

> How are the changes to the testing framework going? Currently the tests
> don't work at all on windows in trunk. There is a WindowsError and no tests
> are processed.

Ohh, I will look at that.  Last I checked it did work.  It is probably
related to your not having a dependency installed though.  Do you have
any of:

nose
zope.interface
twisted