[IPython-dev] Extensions: decisions on loading them and API (thoughts from R. Kern's branch)

Ville M. Vainio vivainio@gmail....
Sun Mar 15 03:57:52 CDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 2:27 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:

> The two key things we need to do, probably right after the 0.10 release:
>
> 1. Stop putting Extensions into sys.path.  This is just bad practice,
> as it pollutes people's import path with our stuff.  Users who want an

-1. This just breaks stuff without any real benefits (provided that
there are no collisions - something taken care of by ipy_ prefix).

> 2. Have all extensions require an explicit entry point to be
> activated.  Something like

To recap, this is already done (as can be seen by looking at "_ip.load??").

--
Ville M. Vainio
http://tinyurl.com/vainio