[IPython-dev] weird bug -- any ideas

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez@berkeley....
Mon Nov 16 04:31:23 CST 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 2:36 PM, William Stein <wstein@gmail.com> wrote:
> If any Ipython devs have Sage installed perhaps you could try looking at
>
>   http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/7449
>
> and see if anything pops into your head.  It's a weird bug in
> introspection where it uses *all* RAM on whatever computer it's run
> on.  The strange thing is that exactly the same thing in the Sage
> notebook works fine (which doesn't use Ipython, but uses similar code
> to implement something similar).
>
> Anyway, any hints are appreciated.   I don't read ipython-dev, so
> maybe this message will bounce -- anyway, respond to me directly if
> you have any thoughts.

Very weird... The funny thing is, the introspection actually finished
very fast: if you do

Ctrl-C

you get the information fine (I just tried).  So something *at the
end* of the introspection is hanging, and it slowly but surely uses up
all RAM.

One thing I can tell you is that upgrading to 0.10 won't help, I just
tried updating the sage ipython to 0.10 and the problem is still
there.

I'll try to have a look and see if I can understand where this is coming from.

The fact that Ctrl-C cleanly stops the crazy loop *without* a
KeyboardInterrupt makes me think that ipython is trying to introspect
the MS object and some C code is going into a mad loop (otherwise we'd
see the Python signal handler showing a traceback).  Do you have any
other bugs related to this type of object that sound along those
lines?

We'll keep looking...