[IPython-dev] How to handle extensions

Hans Meine hans_meine@gmx....
Tue Oct 13 03:14:19 CDT 2009

On Friday 09 October 2009 20:00:59 Brian Granger wrote:
> - If an extension/profile can be distributed as a third party package, it
> should be.  Thus,
> the custom completer for enthough.traits should ship with enthought.traits.
> Things related
> to numpy should ship with numpy.

Although this sounds good, one needs to make sure that this does not create
installation problems.  E.g. if the ipython extension is only installed if
ipython is found, the installation order may suddenly become relevant.
Or packagers may start to make the extension optional (e.g. with Gentoo USE
flags, or by putting them into an additional package), which would make things
less convenient for the user IMO.

Finally, I would expect "import numpy" to activate all relevant extensions in
ipython (otherwise, where's the convenience?), but then we need to put code
into 3rd party packages to check for the IPython runtime - would that be good
design?

Nice greetings,
  Hans