[IPython-dev] How to handle extensions

Hans Meine hans_meine@gmx....
Tue Oct 13 03:20:08 CDT 2009

On Saturday 10 October 2009 00:07:05 Robert Kern wrote:
> <grumble> <grumble>. Anything that lets me avoid having to know
> exactly what I am going to do when I start up the shell is really,
> really helpful. Profiles have always been basically useless to my
> personal workflow because of this.

My main use of profiles is to have a shortcut to predefine a whole set of
imports.  This is very useful if your software is using IPython as the main
controlling/debugging/experimentation frontend, like mine, although it has a
more or less complete (but always slightly restrictive) PyQt GUI for the most
common interactive purposes.

Using a profile, I can simply type "geomap", which is a shell alias for
"ipython -qthread -p geomap" (yes, the -qthread would not be necessary with
the new design anymore), to start my software.

(I thought this could be interesting information for Brian et al., when
thinking about design issues.)

Have a nice day,
  Hans