[IPython-dev] A question mostly for R. Kern: Apache license in argparse...

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Fri Sep 11 14:47:04 CDT 2009

Hi all,

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 12:57 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ah, right. It's worth asking Steven Bethard if he will give a copy to you under
> the BSD license such that IPython can remain GPLv2 compatible.

I just wanted to let everyone know that Robert and I contacted Steven,
and he kindly agreed to offer argparse under the BSD license terms as
well, so that we have no problem with its continued use.

I'll be updating the code over the next few days, once Steven makes
the changes upstream.  These changes will be applied both to trunk and
to the 0.10 branch, so that anyone building off 0.10 can be free of
any licensing worries if they wish to include IPython in a GPL
project.

Many thanks to Steven for doing this, on behalf of the IPython users
and developers!

Best,