[IPython-dev] Musings: syntax for high-level expression of parallel (and other) execution control

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sun Sep 20 13:16:49 CDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 2:00 PM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg.net@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, this makes sense.  What are the limitations of this approach?
> That is, are the circumstances where it is not possible to get the
> source code from the undecorated reference.

In case others are curious (I replied to Brian offline).  The
limitations are similar to what ipython normally encounters, namely an
object being available in-memory but not in source form.  This
happens:

- for interactively defined functions

- for installations where you may have the .pyc files but lost or
never had the .py ones

- in odd cases, if an installation is built in one place and moved,
I've seen this happen.  It used to be a common problem in the past
with Fedora packages built in rpm chroot environments, but I've seen
it less lately, I don't know why.

There may be others, these are the ones I'm aware of.