[IPython-dev] IPythonQt GSoC update

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Apr 22 00:16:58 CDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 11:35 PM, Gerardo Gutierrez
<muzgash.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> *Mark Summerfield wrote on the blog:
>
> I think you will find QPlainTextEdit more suitable that QTextEdit. Its
> layout engine is much faster and it supports colors, bold, etc. (It doesn't
> support tables, lists & frames, but presumably you don't need them.) Also,
> you can use QSyntaxHighlighter with QPlainTextEdit just the same as
> QTextEdit.
>
> I don't really had that in mind just because of the easiness of exporting
> the entire session to html, but the differences between QPlainTextEdit and
> QTextEdit are minimal. so the design can be initially with a QPlainTextEdit
> and if something comes up the update to a QTextEdit should be easy enough to
> not to worry for now since the exporting and saving of sessions are still in
> discussion.

Mark's comments on speed of layout may be worth keeping in mind
though: once a session has hundreds of cells, speed may start to
matter.

> *The documentation (in the blog, wiki and branch) has been updated, it has
> more details about each one of the two main parts of the project and a
> required piece of documentation for the event ("possible future
> directions"). Please let us know your ideas or questions writing ni the blog
> or through here, we'll appreciate your support.

Thanks for updating the branch. I'll try to get to the reviews ASAP
(both this one and the zmq one) so that you can stop using Bzr and
spend your energy on git instead.