[IPython-dev] Porting python3

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Apr 22 00:19:30 CDT 2010

Hi Omar,

2010/4/18 Omar Andrés Zapata Mesa <andresete.chaos@gmail.com>:
> Hi all,
> I am working in port iplib and some core files of ipython to python3, to
> make some test in the system zmq,
> but is better know if we have some plan to do this or some especail repo
> with someting writed.

It's important to note that the zmq project would provide the
*foundation* for a python3 port, but it's not tasked directly with
porting anything at all.  For this project, you should focus on
creating the zmq support and the 2-process implementation that retains
100% of IPython's functionality.

Once that is done, we'll have ahead of us the task of moving from
Twisted to zmq for the distributed computing aspects, a non-trivial
problem but one that will be very interesting to tackle.

Only once twisted is out of the picture will we be able to consider a
full py3 port.

Let me know if any of this isn't clear to you.

Best,