[IPython-dev] Bug handling: launchpad, github, other?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sun Apr 25 13:17:15 CDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:

>> 3. Other?
>
> BitBucket's issue tracker is pretty nice.
>
> <ducks>  :-)

No need to duck, nobody's shooting :)

I think that integration between the source control system and the bug
tracker is really useful and thus I'd rather not consider bitbucket
(and I think we've settled on git by now).  But it's good to see these
other trackers moving forward: that will keep a fire lit under
github's behind on this front, and I'm sure such pressure will help
their tracker improve over time.

Bitbucket does look very nice as well, with a clean interface and what
appears to be a solid feature set (though ironically, everything but
their front page is inaccessible to me right now with "Internal Server
Error" messages :)

It seems clear that both hg and git are solid, mature projects with
enough large and important users to continue forward, much like Gnome
and KDE never 'killed' each other, despite all the silly flamewars of
the linux lists on that topic in the 90's.  And I'm sure bzr will
continue alive as a distant but useful third, since it also has
Canonical and many projects behind it; again using the desktop/window
manager analogies, XFCE and others continue to live even as Gnome/KDE
are the 'big ones' in the linux world.

We seem to be settling on a good set of solutions, and let's hope the
Github admins prove responsive to our requests...