[IPython-dev] Bug blitz: a weekend report

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Apr 26 14:42:49 CDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg@gmail.com> wrote:

> Great job.  I love it!

Thanks!

>> Of those 16 with patches, 15 have already been committed, and the
>> remaining one is 400600 that Brian and Vishal are helping with, so it
>> will be in as well.
>
> I will look at this one soon.

Excellent.

>> I can already download those 132 in Python, and I hope later this week
>> to find the time to write the github upload part, so this time around
>> we will not lose any bug history or data.  I still feel bad that we
>> abandoned some bugs reported in our old trac instance at scipy.org,
>> and I really don't want to repeat that mistake.
>
> It will be great to have all of these tickets migrated to github.  At
> the same time, deleting all bug reports (like we did when we moved to
> LP) is not *that* bad.  The real and important bugs always show up
> again - it is sort of a way of testing which are real and important.
> The only bummer is work that people have done in tracking the bugs
> down, fixing them etc.  But it sounds like this time we won't loose
> any of that, which is great.

It's partly a matter of not losing information, but also of not losing
community: people have spent their time reporting the bugs, I want to
make it clear that as a project we value that enough to protect the
result of their effort. If people feel that reporting bugs to IPython
has a 50/50 chance of being completely ignored, we're less likely to
get people contributing.  And we never know when a bug reporter will
become the next IPython contributor, so I don't want to alienate
anyone.

> Sounds great, but lets keep our labels and values simple.

Very good point.  Once I see that it works and I can make labels with
a few test bugs and a toy project I made for that, I'll run the
planned labels by all of you, so we can prune it out before the real
upload.