[IPython-dev] Zmq branch on LP: re-created.

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Apr 29 18:30:05 CDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 12:50 AM, Hans Meine <hans_meine@gmx.net> wrote:
> In our own two-process, Qt-based python terminal, we simply connected to the
> signal the TCP socket class emits when the connection closed.  AFAIK that's
> the standard approach for TCP/IP-based IPC with daemons (e.g. I recall
> KDE/DCOP etc. do that), and if 0mq really is the superior solution nowadays,
> I hope it offers the same failsafe detection of a lost/closed connection.

I don't think zmq sockets signal when they drop the connection,
though.  Brian, is that right?

Hans, were you using pure python sockets?  We're trying to avoid any
python code in the sockets layer, so that message queuing can continue
to happen even if the kernel is running blocking code (e.g. numpy).
zmq does that by releasing the gil for most of its operations.  Was
that not an issue for you guys?