[IPython-dev] Quieting the kernel, logging strategy.

Omar Andrés Zapata Mesa andresete.chaos@gmail....
Tue Dec 7 03:59:44 CST 2010

Hi all.
I have ready a prototype for logging, see my branch
https://github.com/omazapa/ipython/tree/terminal-logging
iplogging support beautiful colors in the output, using the
module IPython.utils.coloransi
see some snapshots
http://gfifdev.udea.edu.co/IpythonLogging.png
of a simple code
from iplogging import IpLogging
if __name__ == "__main__":
    IpLogging.debug("this is a  ipython's debug message")
    IpLogging.warning("this is a  ipython's warning message")
    IpLogging.error("this is a  ipython's error message")
    IpLogging.info("this is a  ipython's info message")

and it is now implemented in ipkernel, see the snapshot
http://gfifdev.udea.edu.co/IpythonLogging1.png<http://gfifdev.udea.edu.co/IpythonLogging.png>

Please feel free for suggestions

2010/12/6 Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com>

> Hi folks,
>
> I just had a chat with Omar, who has some spare cycles coming up and
> is going to complete the work he prototyped during the gsoc effort.
> This will mean producing a terminal-based, 2-process version of
> IPython, which can be used for talking to existing kernels or with its
> own self-started one.
>
> Unfortunately right now the self-starting approach simply won't work,
> because we've crammed the kernel full of direct print statements to
> log message info.  This makes it impossible to use the terminal where
> the kernel is running, as it floods with messages.
>
> I suggested to Omar that he start, as step 1 of his work, with
> quieting out the kernel, but I'd like to ping everyone with this so
> that Omar can implement something that will last.  I remember in Min's
> newparallel branch we already have a proper log listener, and we'd
> talked in the past about this a little, but my memory fails me.
>
> So, should all print statements be replaced with calls to a
> logging.logger object for now?  Min, how was your code logging its
> messages out?
>
> This isn't particularly difficult work, I just want to make sure we
> use the same strategy everywhere, and right now I don't have all the
> pieces of the puzzle in my mental cache...
>
> Thanks!

Omar Andres Zapata Mesa
Head Developer Phenomenology of Fundamental Interactions Group (Gfif)
http://gfif.udea.edu.co
Division of computer science Gfif Developers (Gfif Dev)
http://gfifdev.udea.edu.co
Systems Engineering Student
Universidad de Antioquia At Medellin - Colombia
Usuario Linux  #490962