[IPython-dev] Quieting the kernel, logging strategy.

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Tue Dec 7 15:23:19 CST 2010

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 13:05, Brian Granger <ellisonbg@gmail.com> wrote:

> A few quick comments:
>
> * The configuration of logging for each process should be done at the
> Application level, not in a ipython specific logging module.  When I get to
> creating a full blown Application for the new kernel, etc., we can put all
> of this together.  We may want an IPython Logger Configurable that holds the
> state and config for the Application.  Subclasses could log to different
> resources (file, zeromq socket, etc).
> * Files that need to use logging should just import the standard logging
> module and start logging.
> * For now, if the goal is to move forward with the 2 process terminal based
> IPython, I would:
>

> 1) Convert the kernel to use the logging module of the std library.
> 2) Make the kernel log to a file in the ipython directory.  For now this
> can just be done in the top level kernel script.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Brian

This is exactly what the parallel code currently does.  Any use/knowledge of
logging over zmq or to a file
is handled purely by the startup scripts in creating/attaching appropriate
Handler objects.

Omar's iplogging is not a special logging module, it's just a
logging.Formatter subclass with coloring, for use with regular
logging.Loggers.

-MinRK