[IPython-dev] What do we do about repository formats???

Andrew Wagner drewm1980@gmail....
Fri Feb 12 11:23:48 CST 2010

Hello-

I've only been lurking for a few days, but since I use git, I can
share a bit of useful info to help your evaluation.  (I have not used
hg; went straight from SVN to git)

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 4:37 AM, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:
> Out of the 3 main DVCSs, I am also most tempted by hg, because I feels it
> strikes the right balance between power and simplicity. However, for me
> hg has a killer feature: subrepositories (or the forest extension,
> previously): http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/subrepos
>
> I work in many projects where the natural setting is actually a group of
> projects evolving together. Sub-repositories are the natural answer to
> this situation and a big pro for me because the reduce technical and
> social difficulties with loosely coupled projects: better than a
> fully-integrated repo as projects have some independence, but better than
> separate repos, as it is possible to have comon history.
>
> Maybe git has a similar feature. I haven't seen it yet.

The command you seek is called git-submodule, but I have not used it.

For those who are new to git, I recommend first reading the git
community "book":

http://book.git-scm.com/

especially the page about git's object model:

http://book.git-scm.com/1_the_git_object_model.html

I also recommend gitk for inspecting your history (usually distributed with git)

and the eg wrapper script for improved command-line help:

http://www.gnome.org/~newren/eg/

Cheers,
Drew