[IPython-dev] What do we do about repository formats???

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sun Feb 14 22:33:34 CST 2010

Hi all,

[ thanks a lot for the dvcs comments, there was actually a lot of good
info there.  But for now I'm sticking to the migration topic here, I'm
a little pressed for time]

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Jörgen Stenarson
<jorgen.stenarson@bostream.nu> wrote:
>> So, as a concrete proposal, I can update the remote repo say by this
>> weekend, giving anyone with local changes in any branch time to merge
>> them.  By Sunday I will start a remote repo upgrade, and we'll all
>> simply have to run local upgrades before doing any further operations.
>>
>> Does that sound OK, have I missed anything?
>>
> Sounds reasonable to me.

OK, I tried to get this ball rolling, but the process looks more
complex than I thought, and I'm having second thoughts.  This is what
I have found so far in terms of instructions:

http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/latest/en/upgrade-guide/index.html#data-migration

It's a very involved process, that seems to require lots of manual
checks and attention to detail, with multiple chances for screwing up.

Ville, you mentioned doing this for Leo, could you provide us with
some info on how you went about it?  Is that guide overly complicated
and do you have a simpler alternative?

I am seriously, seriously annoyed that using a version control tool
becomes a chore like this.  We have precious little time as it is for
ipython, the last thing I want to do is to waste it babysitting the
VCS (especially when it's slow and crash-prone to begin with).

This thread on the upgrade topic is another one that I found when
searching instructions for this:

and it also has lots of things in it that give me pause.

So before I pull a trigger I might regret, should we reconsider this?
Ville, if you have tips on how to do this cleanly I'd love to hear
them, perhaps I'm being unnecessarily paranoid and fearful and in
practice it really isn't that bad.

But one thing that is true is that in the next few weeks I do not have
a full 4-6 open hours to devote to this.  I thought I could simply
activate 'repo upgrade' somewhere on LP and be done with it, but that
doesn't seem to be the case.  If it requires a full day of my time to
happen cleanly, I simply can't do it now, I'm afraid.

Advice will be much welcome.

Thanks!