[IPython-dev] DreamPie - a new graphical Python shell

Sun Feb 21 14:48:55 CST 2010

Noam Yorav-Raphael wrote:
> * GUI event loops are there - GTK, Tkinter, and QT event loops are
> automatically supported, in a way very similar to Tkinter in the
> traditional interpreter - handling events while idle.

what about wxPython?

What GUI toolkit is Dreampie written in? It doesn't matter much, I
suppose as long as it works with the others, but I'm wondering. Also, if
it's GTK, then native MAc support isn't an option ( :-( ).

Can it run your app in a different process? Given the jython and iton
python support, it looks like yes.

> * Shell support. (you can use os.system, but it's not the same thing)

yes -- that's really nice.

> * '?' and '??'. I guess that in a graphical environment it's best if
> the help appears in a new window.

not really -- there is a real efficiency to being able whip stuff out at
the command line. It might be nice to have the help show up in a new
window, but don't make me pick up the mouse to get it. typing ? is
really easy.

Gael Varoquaux wrote:
> What I specificaly want is recalling based on the begining of a line.

yes - this is VERY handy.

I'm looking forward to giving it a real try.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@noaa.gov