[IPython-dev] DreamPie - a new graphical Python shell

Noam Yorav-Raphael noamraph@gmail....
Sun Feb 21 15:17:57 CST 2010

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 5:07 PM, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 05:02:20PM +0200, Noam Yorav-Raphael wrote:
>> * History management is there - the recent values computed are saved,
>> and all your command and output history is saved too. You can even
>> save it to a HTML file.
>
> What I specificaly want is recalling based on the begining of a line.

Already there!

>> * Tracebacks are not really fancy, but are colored in red so that it's
>> easy to distinguish them from normal output.
>
> :( . IPython's traceback really improve my productivity, because they often
> allow me to pin-point the problem immediatly.

I think that adding an option for extended exceptions won't be too
hard. It's good to know what helps people.

>> * '?' and '??'. I guess that in a graphical environment it's best if
>> the help appears in a new window.
>
> And the magics too :).

Ok. Perhaps the best way would be to add an IPython mode...

> By the way, DreamPie is licensed under GPL. This means that commercial
> users (even those doing open source) are quite likely to reimplement it,
> rather than to reuse it. That's a pitty, if you are putting so much
> effort in it.

I don't think that's a real problem. Since DreamPie is a program, not
a library, LGPL isn't really applicable. It can be used for commercial
purposes, it's just that others can't add a feature and sell their
version.

Thanks for the feedback,
Noam