[IPython-dev] DreamPie - a new graphical Python shell

Noam Yorav-Raphael noamraph@gmail....
Sun Feb 21 15:24:02 CST 2010

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 10:48 PM, Christopher Barker
<Chris.Barker@noaa.gov> wrote:
> Noam Yorav-Raphael wrote:
>> * GUI event loops are there - GTK, Tkinter, and QT event loops are
>> automatically supported, in a way very similar to Tkinter in the
>> traditional interpreter - handling events while idle.
>
> what about wxPython?

I haven't implemented it, but it shouldn't be a problem.

> What GUI toolkit is Dreampie written in? It doesn't matter much, I
> suppose as long as it works with the others, but I'm wondering. Also, if
> it's GTK, then native MAc support isn't an option ( :-( ).

It's PyGTK. I've heard that there is a way to use PyGTK on Mac, but
I'm sure that the support is not as good as linux and Windows. I've
chosen PyGTK because its Python bindings are MUCH better than PyQT.

> Can it run your app in a different process? Given the jython and iton
> python support, it looks like yes.

Yes. It actually always runs a Python subprocess which executes your
code, and the main one only handles the GUI.

>> * Shell support. (you can use os.system, but it's not the same thing)
>
> yes -- that's really nice.
>
>> * '?' and '??'. I guess that in a graphical environment it's best if
>> the help appears in a new window.
>
> not really -- there is a real efficiency to being able whip stuff out at
> the command line. It might be nice to have the help show up in a new
> window, but don't make me pick up the mouse to get it. typing ? is
> really easy.

Indeed. I thought of something like an extended tooltip. There's
currently a tooltip showing function arguments, and I guess it can be
extended to show more documentation.

> I'm looking forward to giving it a real try.

I will be glad to hear what you think once you do!

Noam