[IPython-dev] Having trouble using TaskClient; exception inside twisted

Andrew Wagner drewm1980@gmail....
Mon Feb 22 19:01:48 CST 2010

>>> Hmm, haven't seen this last one.  Could you put together a small, self
>>> contained example that
>>> demonstrates the error.  Then I can track it down.
>> Sure thing; I'll try to hammer one out asap.

I have replicated the error on the trunk:

IPython 0.11.alpha1.bzr.r1223

TaskClient.map is giving the same error as before.
I tried MultiEngineClient.map:

CompositeError: one or more exceptions from call to method: execute
[0:execute]: AttributeError: 'int' object has no attribute 'rfind'
[1:execute]: AttributeError: 'int' object has no attribute 'rfind'
[2:execute]: AttributeError: 'int' object has no attribute 'rfind'
[3:execute]: TypeError: map() requires at least two args
[4:execute]: TypeError: map() requires at least two args
[5:execute]: TypeError: map() requires at least two args
[6:execute]: TypeError: map() requires at least two args
[7:execute]: TypeError: map() requires at least two args

engines 0-2 did have a job to work on, and gave the same error as the TaskClient
engines 3-7 did not have a job to work on.

My network setup:
* client on machine 0
* ipcontroller on machine 1
* 8 ipengine instances on machine 2
All of the machines 0 and 2 mount my home directory from an NFS share
on machine 1, which is how the furl files get distributed.
I'm using /etc/inittab to keep the controller and engine instances
alive on machines 1 and 2.

By changing in the type of the second map parameter I figured out that
the 'int' in
"[0:execute]: AttributeError: 'int' object has no attribute 'rfind'"

is the type inside the list that I send.  i.e. for

norms = mec.map(f, [(i,) for i in range(3)])

I get:

[0:execute]: AttributeError: 'tuple' object has no attribute 'rfind'

It's odd that it complains about the type of my list of int's, but not
the list of int's in the example.

I'm still working on a small standalone version; just sending out info as I go.