[IPython-dev] Running tests

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Jan 7 14:46:09 CST 2010

Hey Jorgen,

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 11:05 AM, Jörgen Stenarson
<jorgen.stenarson@bostream.nu> wrote:

> what is the recommended way of running tests on trunk now?
>
> I tried:
> test/runtests.py        from inside ipython with %run, didn't work
> IPython/testing/iptest  called as iptest all, didn't work
> nosetests               Seems to work but has 19 errors and 5 failures

My trunk-dev branch:

https://code.launchpad.net/~fdo.perez/ipython/trunk-dev

is more test-friendly than trunk right now.  Once reviewed (feel free
to pitch in, I'd appreciate it!), we'll merge it into trunk with
whatever changes are needed.  Still, with that branch, the best way to
run the tests is just to type at the command line

./iptest

from the IPython/scripts directory.  We'll need to make this easier to
run later though, at least something like

python -c "import IPython;IPython.test()"

should just work.  Testing *inside* ipython itself will always be
tricky to make work because of recursiveness issues, but at least the
above is doable.

> I'd like to see ipy_stock_completers resurrected. I can look into it
> but is there some example of how an extension should be converted from
> the old to the new style?

If you look in IPython/extensions, you'll see two there that work,
pretty.py is probably a good place to start.