[IPython-dev] glumpy, fast opengl visualization

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Jan 26 03:02:55 CST 2010

Dear Nicolas,

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 12:23 AM, Nicolas Rougier
<Nicolas.Rougier@loria.fr> wrote:
> I will change the license from GPL to BSD.

Well, many thanks!  I greatly appreciate this gesture, I'm sure it
will benefit us all.

> Concerning the ipython-trunk, I'm not sure where to look exactly within
> your sources. Currently, I'm using the IPython.ipapi.launch_new_instance
> to start an ipython shell in its own thread (I need this because OpenGL
> requires to be in the main thread from what I remember). Furthermore I
> proxy all gl calls so they are executed within the main thread while
> standard python operations are made directly from the ipython thread.
>
> The only problem so far with this approach is to be able to kill the
> IPython session cleanly from the GL thread but I did not find the way to
> do it, is there something like this in the dev branch ?

A few points:

- You may want to simply try to do what %Exit does:

    def magic_Exit(self, parameter_s=''):
        """Exit IPython without confirmation."""

        self.shell.ask_exit()

I unfortunately can't verify if this works, because with your current
hg code on my Karmic 32-bit laptop, I get this:

maqroll[glumpy]> python -c 'import glumpy'
Segmentation fault

so none of the demos run at all.

- Just a couple of days ago, Brian and I started thinking hard about
the long-term design requirements of the interactive app for civilized
cooperation with other mainloops (like what you need).  Let us know if
the above basic trick doesn't work, and very soon we'll try to finish
up the current reviews in-progress and put up some design docs on
these questions, so we can start building up with glumpy as cleanly as
possible.

Great timing!  Last we'd spoken I said it would be a while before
things got cleaned up enough to really make sure we weren't wasting
your time, but you came back just as things are getting in shape over
here.  This should be fun :)

Best regards, and many thanks again for your consideration of my
licensing discussion,