[IPython-dev] subprocess and Python 2.6

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Mon Jul 19 00:16:57 CDT 2010

Hi,

In IPython 0.11, we will be moving away from Twisted in many cases.
One of the biggest areas we use Twisted in 0.10 is for cross platform
process management.  In Python 2.5 and below, subprocess.Popen objects
did not have a kill or terminate method and os.kill didn't work on
Windows.  This is one of the big reasons we were using Twisted for
process management.  You could still kill a process on Windows, but it
took some hacks.

With Python 2.6, Popen objects have a kill and terminate method that
will work with Windows.  This will make it much easier to transition
away from using Twisted for process management.  BUT, this would mean
that Python 2.5 users are left in the dark.  If we want to keep 2.5
support in 0.11, we will need to spend some time thinking about this
issue.  Thoughts?

Brian E. Granger, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Physics
bgranger@calpoly.edu