[IPython-dev] Curses Frontend

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Mon Mar 8 14:38:16 CST 2010

Wendell,

> It looks to me like ipipe is on deathrow for IPython 0.11, and in my
> version of 0.11 it crashes occasionally. It has some interesting
> functionality, but if its not going to be part of the main distribution,
> support for it will have to wait. I'm also a very long way from getting
> any sort of curses frontend working, and that's definitely highest
> priority: basic functionality.

Yes, we need to decide what to do with ipipe for 0.11.  My feeling is that
it should be hosted as a separate project (that is why it is in deathrow)
but this has not been discussed.  We are really wanting to keep the core of
IPython as small as possible, as the code base has grown in size far
beyond our development teams abilities to keep up.

Minimally, ipipe needs to be updated to the new APIs, but that
shouldn't be too difficult.

> However, I'm definitely going to keep in mind that others may wish to
> use curses from within the curses frontend; once the main curses
> frontend is working, I'll think about how that may work.

Great!

Brian

> -Wendell
>
> On 03/05/2010 12:27 PM, Walter Dörwald wrote:
>> IPython contains some curses functionality (in the ipipe module). To
>> check it out, do
>>
>>     >>>  from ipipe import *
>>     >>>  ils
>>
>> Documentation can be found here http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/UsingIPipe
>>
>> It would be great if your curses frontend still supported ipipe.
>>
>> Servus,
>>     Walter

Brian E. Granger, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Physics