[IPython-dev] Curses Frontend

Walter Dörwald walter@livinglogic...
Sun Mar 21 15:09:04 CDT 2010

On 12.03.10 23:09, Brian Granger wrote:

> Walter,
>
>>> Is there a problem with generics?
>>
>> No, they work without a problem.
>
> Ok, I misunderstood.
>
>>> If so it might be related to this:
>>>
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ipython/+bug/527968
>>
>> I'm not using generics.complete_object.
>>
>>> It this is a different issue, could you explain further?
>>
>> You wrote: "Minimally, ipipe needs to be updated to the new APIs", but
>> generics.result_display() is the only IPython API that ipipe uses, so I
>> thould I would have to change something.
>
> OK, but that shouldn't be too difficult right?  If you do want to
> continue to use this,
> we can look to see what the new API looks like for this.

So does this mean that generics.result_display() *will* go away in 0.11?
If yes, what *is* the new API that I can hook into?

What I need is a hook where I can register a callback which gets called
when objects of a certain type have to be output to the screen the
return value of the hook is the object that gets assigned to the _ variable.

Servus,
   Walter