[IPython-dev] Qt/Curses interfaces future: results of the weekend mini-sprint (or having fun with 0mq)

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Mar 23 18:55:56 CDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 2:46 PM, Christopher Barker
<Chris.Barker@noaa.gov> wrote:
> Fernando Perez wrote:
>> The basic issue we need to solve is the ability to have out-of-process
>> interfaces that are efficient, simple to develop,  and that support
>> fully asynchronous operation.
>
> This is absolutely fabulous!

Thanks, we're really excited too :)

>> We want the user-facing client (be it readline-, curses- or qt-based)
>
> or wx-based?

Absolutely: I didn't mean to slight wx.  I get the sense that
development momentum is moving towards qt now that it's lgpl (esp.
with the upcoming pyside bindings by nokia), but there's no technical
reason whatsoever why a Wx frontend couldn't be written.  And as Brian
pointed out, since they are in different processes, a Wx frontend
could control a kernel running Qt code or vice-versa (so you can use
your favorite Wx IDE, for example, while executing code that uses a Qt
GUI such as VisIt).