[IPython-dev] What is the status of iPython+wx?

Thu Mar 25 18:59:10 CDT 2010

Brian Granger wrote:
> We have not fixed the issue.  But, it is only an issue with
> matplotlib/traits.  If you are developing your own wxpython code you
> definitely should use dev trunk and look at the %gui magic.  We also
> have some details about how it works in the nightly docs.  The dev
> version is *much* more stable that 0.10 for this type of thing.
>
> Let us know how it goes.

not so well -- I can start up a wx app and have a nice interactive
command line, but there doesn't appear to be any way to re-run it.

If I close the frame, then call run gui-wx.py -- it is unstable,
freezing up on me fairly quickly.

If I don't close the frame, It opens up a second frame (have you hooked
in to have re-run wx.App.OnInit?), but then it's also unstable.

I haven't looked yet at the ipython code to see what you are doing in
appstart_wx. I'll try to do that soon.

Also, I found wx.App.SetExitOnFrameDelete(False) which should keep the
app running, even when all the Windows have closed. That may end up
being helpful.

Maybe appstart_wx could close all the top level windows if there is an
app already running.

NOTE:

Python 2.6.5

IPython 0.11.alpha1.bzr.r1223

OS-X 10.5 PPC

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@noaa.gov