[IPython-dev] What is the status of iPython+wx?

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Mon Mar 29 12:23:03 CDT 2010

Chris,

> I'm really confused as to how you can start an event loop without an App
> -- but I guess I'll dig into the code to figure that out.

It is a bit subtle - it took us years to understand that this was
possible.  Here is a sketch of how it works:

* The C API of Python has a hook called PyOS_InputHook.  It is a
pointer to a function.
* The function get called when Python enters raw_input.  When
raw_input is called, Python enters into its own mini event loop.  This
is where readline interactions take place.
* While this mini-event loop is running, Python calls the
PyOS_InputHook function.  The sole purpose of this call is to enable
other event loops to integrate with Python.
* This is how the event loop integration with tk works in regular Python.
* We have implemented a hook for wx.  If you look at our hook though,
it checks to see if a wx App has been created.  If no App has been
created, the hook is a no-op.  But, the second you create an App, our
function picks that up and iterates the event loop while raw_input is
being called.

HTH.

Brian E. Granger, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Physics