[IPython-dev] Error in test_unicode for InputSplitter

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Fri Oct 29 20:35:53 CDT 2010

Python 2.6.5 |CUSTOM| (r265:79063, May 28 2010, 15:13:03)

IPython 0.11.alpha1.git -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
%quickref -> Quick reference.
help      -> Python's own help system.
object?   -> Details about 'object', use 'object??' for extra details.

In [1]: import sys

In [2]: sys.getdefaultencoding()
Out[2]: 'ascii'

This is EPD on the Mac...

Brian

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 5:39 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2010-10-29 19:26 , Robert Kern wrote:
>> On 2010-10-29 18:48 , MinRK wrote:
>>> Check the default encoding.  It could be that your Python's default encoding is
>>> ascii, or some other such thing, causing a problem.
>>>
>>> sys.getdefaultencoding()
>>>
>>> Somethings this is utf8, sometimes it's ascii.
>>
>> It should never, ever be anything but ascii. If you have it set to something
>> else, you have a broken Python.
>
> Or rather, on Python 2, it must always be ascii. On Python 3, it must always be
> utf-8.
>
> --
> Robert Kern

>  that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had
>  an underlying truth."
>   -- Umberto Eco

Brian E. Granger, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Physics