[IPython-dev] Landing newkernel: naming entry points

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Sep 21 00:43:55 CDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 9:29 PM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:

>> - ipkernel: one we'll need to add for the pure-kernel part of the zmq
>> clients, when someone wants to create just a kernel.
>
> I think this name is good.

OK

> I think this will just lead to confusion.  I don't think we want to
> distinguish between the bare bones widgets-apps and the full blown
> apps.  By this, I mean that we should only offer full blown apps for
> our frontends.  Obviously the current ipythonqt is still bare bones on
> the application side of things, but I think *it* should be the
> top-level script that we should incrementally improve into a full
> blown app.  That is, we should create additional widgets, application
> menus, etc. and keep adding them to the mix.
>
> But I do agree that we need to rethink how we name it.  The names need
> to take into account both the toolkit (qt, wx, ...) as well as the
> type of frontend (console, notebook, ...).  Some options:
>
> ipythonqt-console
> ipythonqt-nb
> ipythonwx-console
> ipythonwx-nb
>
> Or
>
> ipython-qtconsole
> ipython-qtnb

Good points, thanks.  I think I like this ipython-<toolkit><something>
style best, though I'm not feeling particularly creative with names
either.

If someone comes up with something better I'm all ears, otherwise we
can just go ahead with this suggestion of yours.