[IPython-dev] Merging nk into trunk

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Sep 28 02:56:31 CDT 2010

Hi folks,

I was planning on trying to do the merge tomorrow if I can find a gap
in the day.

Brian, you mentioned you had something you wanted to run in nk before
the merge, is that still the case?

I was just planning on renaming the entry point script according to
the previous discussion and otherwise leaving the code as-is, so we
continue working directly in trunk.

Dogfooding note: today I taught a 3-hour tutorial on intermediate
matplotlib usage at Berkeley using the new frontend, and it worked
*fantastically* well for that purpose.  The ability to directly paste
multiline blocks, explain them and display the plots, to have calltips
for info and the split pane for showing info while working, are all
really great in a teaching context.

There are still a few rough edges and some features I'd love to have
(like being able to toggle back and forth from inline to window plot
mode, which is doable but I haven't had time to implement).  But
overall, I think we have something very nice on our hands.

On Wednesday I'll present it at the Berkeley py4science group and
we'll start getting tester feedback...