[IPython-dev] Merging nk into trunk

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Tue Sep 28 10:15:31 CDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 12:56 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I was planning on trying to do the merge tomorrow if I can find a gap
> in the day.
>
> Brian, you mentioned you had something you wanted to run in nk before
> the merge, is that still the case?

Yes, I need to make a few changes to support 2.0.7 and 2.0.8 pyzmq.  I
should be able to get to that today, but we really should do that
before it goes in.  I will ping you when it is in.

> I was just planning on renaming the entry point script according to
> the previous discussion and otherwise leaving the code as-is, so we
> continue working directly in trunk.

Sounds good.

> Dogfooding note: today I taught a 3-hour tutorial on intermediate
> matplotlib usage at Berkeley using the new frontend, and it worked
> *fantastically* well for that purpose.  The ability to directly paste
> multiline blocks, explain them and display the plots, to have calltips
> for info and the split pane for showing info while working, are all
> really great in a teaching context.

That is great.  I am pretty much going to start using it myself for
everything as well.

> There are still a few rough edges and some features I'd love to have
> (like being able to toggle back and forth from inline to window plot
> mode, which is doable but I haven't had time to implement).  But
> overall, I think we have something very nice on our hands.
>
> On Wednesday I'll present it at the Berkeley py4science group and
> we'll start getting tester feedback...

Very nice!

> Cheers,

Brian E. Granger, Ph.D.