[IPython-dev] (slightly OT) tags vs. branches

David Warde-Farley wardefar@iro.umontreal...
Wed Aug 17 01:32:50 CDT 2011

On 2011-08-16, at 11:22 PM, Matthew Brett wrote:

> And, for us nipy-ers - we tag the release something like 1.1.0, then
> form a maintenance branch 1.1.x for fixes to that series, in case we
> want to release 1.1.1, etc, while we're developing what will be 1.2.0.

Thanks, this use case for branches definitely makes sense. It did seem that IPython had a branch for each release rather than just release series, which seemed odd, but yeah. I doubt we'll be backporting fixes that much with Theano as it's still too fast-moving to be pinned down too much API-wise.

Thanks also for your excellent gitwash document, which I will be referring people to constantly over the next little while, hopefully eventually culminating in other devs actually *reading* it all the way through (I keep telling them that you kept it short by design, but somehow...;) )

David