[IPython-dev] (slightly OT) tags vs. branches

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Aug 17 02:01:36 CDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 11:39 PM, David Warde-Farley
<wardefar@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> Thanks for such a detailed reply and so quickly!

Glad to help! And this discussion got us to clean up house, so it's
good for us  too :)

> On 2011-08-17, at 1:26 AM, Fernando Perez wrote:
>
>> An additional benefit of using tags is that github automatically
>> creates downloadable tar/zipballs for any tag, so you get an automatic
>> download website by the mere act of pushing a tag.
>
> Neat, I had forgotten about that. Although I notice you also have a (presumably setuptools-generated) tarball on PyPI. Does it complicate things any to have two similar-but-different source distributions? (I'm thinking in terms of any generated documentation, etc.)

Well, pypi is good to have because that's what easy_install/pip pull
from.  The ones we push there are larger and have built docs.  On
github, the auto-generated ones are 'pure' source packages without any
build operations on them, just the output of a git export.  So they
are perfect for distributors to pick up, since those tend to have
their own policies on how to build/distribute docs (often in separate
packages).

So I'm actually happy to have both, as we automatically satisfy both
end-users installing from pypi who get complete docs, and distributors
who need pure source tarballs to start from for their packaging
process.