[IPython-dev] Message spec draft more fleshed out

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Wed Jun 8 15:32:49 CDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 11:07, Darren Dale <dsdale24@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Fernando,
>
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 4:02 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > here:
> >

> http://github.com/ipython/ipython/blob/106bc2e0587d315db67988c1803b8574fc54463a/docs/source/development/messaging.txt
> >
> > is a more fleshed out message spec document for feedback.
>
> I haven't been following this topic very closely, but a colleague just
> brought MessagePack to my attention: http://msgpack.org/ . I thought
> it might be of interest to the IPython devs.

That is definitely cool.  Perhaps we should provide a note in the message
doc that describes how to use custom serialization, and various useful
libraries such as this one.

Once the Session object in the parallel code replaces the one in IPython.zmq
(already done in a local branch, but waiting for newapp to merge), the
message serialization will be user configurable, just like it is in the
parallel code.  The message spec only requires that messages be JSONable
(simple dicts/lists of strings and numbers), and there is no code (or
shouldn't be, anyway) outside the Session that deals with JSON directly.

-MinRK