[IPython-dev] Requiring distribute on Windows

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Fri Jun 24 13:01:38 CDT 2011

Hi,

In the course of testing IPython.parallel on Windows, Min and I have
discovered that ipcluster won't work on Windows unless distribute is
installed and used to install IPython.  The reason is that setuptools
has a bug that interacts with multiprocessing in a subtle, nasty way.
Min has been using distribute all along for testing and dev., so we
didn't see it until now.  This leads to a question:

Should we required distribute to be installed and used to install
IPython on Windows?

I am not sure how this will affect the .msi installer.  We might be
able to relax the requirement for that installer as the command line
scripts are created differently.

Brian E. Granger