[IPython-dev] Multiple outputs per input line

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Sun Mar 13 17:11:10 CDT 2011

On 13 March 2011 20:56, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:

> One thing we could do (that's what mathematica uses) is to simply
> increase the counter every time an *output* is produced.   The logic
> does get a little more complex, but it lets us retain uniqueness
> throughout.  What do you think?

But many inputs don't produce any output, so we'd have to increment the
counter on every input or output, which just feels...unwieldy. I think the
numbering system we've got now, with one number per input cell, makes most
sense. It means if you do "%macro thing 5-10", you know you're getting 6
commands. That said, I've never used Mathematica, so I don't know how neatly
it works there.

Thomas