[IPython-dev] Multiple outputs per input line

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Mon Mar 21 14:02:58 CDT 2011

On 21 March 2011 18:55, Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez@berkeley.edu> wrote:

> The solution is technically easy, I guess we just need to decide a
> policy.  I'd implemented the current one thinking it was a good
> balance between seeing displayhook output in the most common cases and
> not getting multiple ones otherwise. But we can certainly revisit
> this.
>
> And we could go back to always compiling in single mode, if we want.
> Though that would trigger multiple Out[] results when running calls
> like matplotlib plots, that are intended for their side effects but
> still return a value.  That was  a big driver of deciding to silence
> things somewhat...

I think the current system is probably about right, in that it should show
output when people expect it, and keep quiet when they don't. But it doesn't
prevent multiple calls to displayhook, so although it's a fairly unusual
case, we need to at least handle it gracefully.

Thomas