[IPython-dev] Heads-up for notebook users: on-disk format changes for version-control friendliness

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Nov 10 22:23:22 CST 2011

Hey Satra,

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 8:17 PM, Satrajit Ghosh <satra@mit.edu> wrote:
> i'm sure this will be very easy for you to add, but could you put a future
> version check into the code. something along the lines of:
> if file.nbformat > prog.nbformat:
>     Exception('notebook is saved in a newer format than currently supported
> by this version of ipython. notebook format requires version >= X.Y')
> cheers,

We already have that in place, and once we release we'll be much
stricter with version number checks.  But we didn't actually bump the
version number with this change (perhaps we should have, I hope it
won't be too much of a hassle since right now only people running off
git can use it, and it's a 'git pull' away).

Currently the version string is at v2, and when we make another round
of larger changes post 0.12 for features we want in that case, we'll
certainly update that.