[IPython-dev] Should we disable autocall by default from now on?

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Wed Nov 30 05:05:24 CST 2011

On 30 November 2011 07:07, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:

> I personally had always fallen on the side of saying that autocall is
> a big convenience of ipython, and that code that mutates on simple
> attribute access is special enough that we shouldn't sacrifice that
> convenience for most users to accommodate such a special case.

I would still stick with this position. I often use autocall for things
like "len x", and code that changes state on attribute access is doing
something decidedly unusual. It should definitely be easy to switch to
paranoid don't-touch-anything mode, but I don't think it's a problem often
enough to be worth changing the default behaviour.

Thomas