[IPython-dev] Should we disable autocall by default from now on?

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Wed Nov 30 12:23:11 CST 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the question of multiline readline history in the terminal is
> relevant. We turned it off for 0.11, and had fairly loud complaints about
> it, so we've relented and turned it back on for 0.12. Of course, autocall
> will be configurable, but I'd expect more complaints about it not being on
> by default than about the issue with getattr affecting state.

I haven't ever used autocall for the same reason Robert gave - it felt
painful to have an autocall way of typing as well as a >>> python way
of typing.

For example, a new user of python 3 may (in IPython) start to believe
that 'print foo' is valid python.

I have sometimes noticed new users going 'huh?' when autocall kicks in
(followed obviously by 'oh I see').

So maybe it is best thought of as an expert setting.

Best,

Matthew