[IPython-dev] Integrating pandas into pylab

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Wed Oct 26 08:43:10 CDT 2011

Thanks John,

On 26 October 2011 14:25, John Hunter <jdh2358@gmail.com> wrote:

> If someone pursues this, I would not call it pylab, as this
> will just foster confusion.

I kind of agree with this, although it's a bit unfortunate, because I think
people already see pylab as a unified interface to scientific Python stuff.

I guess we should think about what else it might be called. Do we want the
name to refer to Python (as Pylab, Scipy, etc. do), or to sound more generic
(like matplotlib)? There's also a case to be made for a distinctive but
non-descriptive name (like Pandas, Python, R, Sage, and countless others).
Suggestions on postcards, please...

Thomas