[IPython-dev] notebook questions

Chris Kees cekees@gmail....
Fri Sep 16 15:37:32 CDT 2011

Hi,

I updated my source on the notebook after I read Fernando's post. Nice
work! Couple of questions:

Is there a way to use reST in the text boxes? It seems like it sort of
works but doesn't get the ::

If I put the notebook safely inside our firewall, would it be
reasonable to just let 5-10 people use the same server or do you
foresee problems down the road? I've set up a sage server partly for
that purpose, but having the ipython notebook available could have
some advantages. For example, we're running a computational mechanics
seminar where it would be nice to share some simple mpi programs, say
in the 8-16 processor range. I don't think we can do that in sage yet,
right?

In the docs, it talks about the python roundtrip not being guaranteed.
What about a sage round trip capability for the notebooks?

What's the latest recommendation for interactive 3D graphics in the
notebook, or what direction should I investigate? Probably the most
straightforward route for me would be to take our existing vtk
representations that we use with Qt and follow the notebook example on
the display protocol.  Also, BTW, is there a PySide qt gui example
somewhere?

Thanks,
Chris