[IPython-dev] notebook questions

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Fri Sep 16 23:17:05 CDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 20:44, Gael Varoquaux <gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org
> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 08:41:23PM -0700, MinRK wrote:
> >      I noticed that github allows you to choose between several different
> >      languages for wiki input so I thought you might have something like
> >      that in mind.  I've been using reST for docstrings, sphinx docs, and
> >      github so I selfishly would prefer not to have to learn another
> >      simplified markup language.
>
> >    That makes sense, and I expect we will get this request often.  The
> >    problem is reST is really a horrible language
> >    for in-browser cell markup (as opposed to full document markup, for
> which
> >    it is designed),
>
> Actually, reST was originally designed to write docstrings.

Ah, I didn't know that, given that its design is so much better suited to
large documents than small isolated text.

> It seems to me wrong to go with any other markup language, given that the
> standard in the Python world in reST. It is hard enough to agree on
> standards, let us rejoice that there is one.

We thought about this quite a bit, and concluded that markdown was just a
better
fit, despite the Python-ness of reST.  reST is just a very bad tool for
interactive, light text markup,
but if you can point me to a good javascript reST renderer, we can
reconsider.