[IPython-dev] [Nipy-devel] [Off-topic] julia

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Wed Apr 4 10:29:14 CDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 12:07 AM, Aaron Meurer <asmeurer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually, it's not "Javascript", but "V8 Javascript".  I wonder how
> SquirrelFish (Safari) or SpiderMonkey (Firefox) would perform.

Right, but these days everyone has put lots of effort into optimizing
their JS engines.

> Of course, this isn't the main reason why we use Python.  From the
> website: "Julia’s syntax is intended to be familiar to users of
> MATLAB®."  No thank you.

True.  We do use Javascript though in the notebook and this gives me
comfort that we are not going to outgrow its performance capabilities
as we make more and more powerful interfaces.

> Aaron Meurer
>
> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 9:50 PM, Satrajit Ghosh <satra@mit.edu> wrote:
>> indeed and with webcl it could be even more powerful!
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> satra
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 11:46 PM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually the thing that I am most impressed by in the performance
>>> table is how fast Javascript is.  It blows Python, Matlab, R and
>>> Octave away and is not far off Julia.

>>> --
>>> Brian E. Granger
>>> Cal Poly State University, San Luis Obispo
>>> bgranger@calpoly.edu and ellisonbg@gmail.com

Brian E. Granger