[IPython-dev] Shining panda reports Mac/OSX test failure

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Sun Apr 15 06:16:36 CDT 2012

On 15 April 2012 08:24, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> It may have been something I've merged (since yesterday we've gone
> from 32 to 16 open PRs, so a ton of new code has landed), but
> unfortunately I wouldn't have seen this as it works on my box:

I think I've got it: https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/1600

It's a regular annoyance that io.open takes its default encoding from
the locale, rather than just using utf-8. Of course, for all of us on
Linux or Mac, our locale specifies UTF-8 anyway, so we don't notice. I
guess Matthias' cron job runs with an ascii locale, which reveals the
problem.

Thomas