[IPython-dev] Ace versus CodeMirror

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Tue Jan 24 15:45:08 CST 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 6:00 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Fernando, if we can fix these things, are you open to using CodeMirror
>> always?  Would you still want the ability to do the full-window-like
>> editing mode?
>
> Totally!  I think development simplicity is priority #1 for now, and
> there is a high cost to having two separate editors.  If CM can do the
> whole job, that's great.  We can always later consider offering a tab,
> *also with CM*, for editing local .py files through the browser.

OK, I do think that if we stick with CM and try to make it work, we
will end up better off.  Trying to manage the subtle issues in both
editors will probably drive us crazy.  And I think CM woud work fine
as an editor for .py files as well.

I will try to adapt the full-window editing mode to CM.

> I only liked the Ace approach b/c it worked around problems I was
> having with CM, but I'd much rather depend on just one editor than
> two, as handling two is extra complexity/work for us.

Yes.

> Cheers,

Brian E. Granger