[IPython-dev] Emacs/Vim keybindings in the notebook

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Jan 26 13:39:34 CST 2012

Hi John,

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 4:04 AM, John Fawcett <fawce@quantopian.com> wrote:
> Could you say a bit more about what you envision for client side configuration?

Brian has been spending much more effort on the JS than me, so he'll
likely have a more refined view.  But broadly speaking, we want to
have a way for users to configure things for the UI in a way that is
persisted.  This will probably mean building a settings pane for the
notebook where you can select things like your kemap (none/vim/emacs)
and other things.  This also requires code in the client to bundle
those choices into a json dict that gets sent to the server to store
in the user's profile, so the next time they start a notebook with the
same profile, they get their preferences back.

Basically, what you expect from any gui application: a configuration
dialog and for those settings to persist across invocations.

It's not particularly hard to do, just a matter of finding the time
for it.  So many ideas, so few hours in the day... :)