[IPython-dev] vim/emacs keybindings in the notebook

Bob McElrath bob+ipython@mcelrath....
Mon Jun 4 18:40:18 CDT 2012

Fernando Perez [fperez.net@gmail.com] wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think it just got stalled.
>
> Yup, we're severely bandwidth limited.  Help on finishing up that work
> would be greatly appreciated, as I'm sure many people would love more
> powerful and familiar kebindings as an option.

I want vim keybidings.  I'll help.

In principle this should be easy, as CodeMirror already contains both emacs and
vim keybindings.  Edit IPython/frontend/html/notebook/static/js/codecell.js line
38 and add the keyMap option.  See:
    http://codemirror.net/doc/manual.html#option_keyMap
    http://codemirror.net/doc/manual.html#keymaps

This doesn't work though as ipython handles a lot of keys by itself, but it's a
starting point.

--
Cheers, Bob McElrath

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by
the tribe.  If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened.
But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche